[TN-Bird] Seven Islands Wildlife Refuge

  • From: David Trently <dtrently@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 17:41:40 -0500

east Tennesee
Knox County, east of Knoxville (see www.tnbirds.org for directions and info on
birding this site)

November 27

Charlie Muise and I birded this site this morning from about 8:00 until about
1:30 p.m. As always, birding here was excellent with lots of sparrows to sort
through and a few other goodies.
Be sure to check the fields along the entrance road after you park in the lot.
Here we saw 75+ AMERICAN PIPITS.
Big misses were Turkey Vulture, Northern Harrier, N Bobwhite! and Belted
Kingfisher.
Here's the list and notes, with approximate numbers:

Great Blue Heron   3
Canada Goose   60
Mallard   2
Bald Eagle   2
Red-shouldered Hawk   2
Red-tailed Hawk   2 adults, 1 imm
American Kestrel   1 male, 1 female
Killdeer   1
Ring-billed Gull   12
Rock Pigeon   4
Mourning Dove   10
Red-bellied Woodpecker   4
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker   2
Downy Woodpecker   3
N Flicker   6
Pileated Woodpecker   1
E Phoebe   6
Blue Jay   10
Am Crow   75+
Carolina Chickadee   10
Tufted Titmouse   10
Brown Creeper   1
Carolina Wren   20
House Wren   1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet   1
E Bluebird   15
Am Robin   10
N Mockingbird   10
? Brown Thrasher - heard what may have been one
American Pipit   75+
Loggerhead Shrike   1 - was interesting to watch this bird harrass a kestrel
on a wire.
European Starling
Orange-crowned Warbler   1
Yellow-rumped Warbler   1
N Cardinal   100+  I think there were more of these than Song Sparrows, but
Charlie thinks the other way around - we didn't count individuals. At one
point, two men and their dogs walked past an area where easily over 30
cardinals flew out. When we got to that area, there were still at least 20
others there.
E Towhee   10
Field Sparrow   25
Savannah Sparrow   8
Grasshopper Sparrow   1   There may have been about 5 other Ammodramus
sparrows in one field. Charlie got a good enough look at one, but the others
flew off and we couldn't get to them again. They did non appear to be
sharp-tailed or LeConte's Sparrows.
Fox Sparrow   15
Song Sparrow   100+
Swamp Sparrow   20
White-throated Sparrow   20
White-crowned Sparrow   20
Dark-eyed Junco   1
Red-winged Blackbird   25
Eastern Meadowlark   10
Common Grackle   15
?? Purple Finch   3   It was a bit too foggy where these birds were so we
didn't get a great look. One was singing and didn't sound like a House Finch.
(not a bird we hear sing very often)
House Finch   3
American Goldfinch   100+

David Trently