[tn-bird] Re: Red-headed Woodpeckers

  • From: "W. Kelly Roy" <roywk@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 14:39:29 -0400

TN-Birders,

Red-headed woodpeckers are probably the latest nesting woodpecker in the
southern US, often double-brooded (as many as 3 broods (?) in Florida), and
will certainly renest following unsuccessful attempts.  I would suggest
that Doug's intuition regarding the feeding of young is correct, and that
this date is NOT too late for such observations.  The fact that the adults
were taking (apparently equal) turns gathering food suggests the presence
of an early brood - possibly less than two weeks old(?).

This WOULD be an earlier-than-usual date for most food-storage
activities.  The type of food they were carrying (if noted) would also be a
clue: insects, spiders and soft mast would lend itself toward the feeding
of young, whereas hard mast would lend itself toward a food larder
(although invertebrates are also cached).

I take it from the name of the area (Bomantown Wetlands) that there is
standing water nearby - a frequent characteristic of RHWO nest sites.  I'm
curious if there is evidence of beaver or southern pine beetle activity in
the area?  I think it is probably safe to say that Doug was witness to
brood-rearing, rather than caching activity.  Congratulations to Doug on
his red-headed woodpecker find and for reporting it here first(?)!!!

W. Kelly Roy
Knoxville TN