[tn-bird] Re: Red-headed Woodpeckers

  • From: James Brooks <comeback@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 06:56:19 -0400

Actually the Bowmantown Red-headed Woodpeckers have been around for at
least 15 years, and have regularly been reported on counts including
Washington County.

They were originally reported in a wood lot next to the old Bowmantown
School, but gentrification of the landscape led to cutting of the woods.
They next moved into the lighting poles for the ball field at the
Bowmantown School, leading the bulb replacement people to declare it was
unsafe to go up poles weakened by RHWO nesting activity. This led to
replacement of the poles. I argued at the time with county commissioners
that they should leave the old poles standing beside the new ones so the
woodpeckers could continue to nest there (preferring of course the old,
easy-to-drill poles, and thereby protecting the new ones). Of course
this wouldn't look as neat and clean as they wished for the ball fields,
so the old poles are removed.

I'm thrilled to hear the birds have re-nested in the Bowmantown
wetlands, less than a mile away. This area was purchased by TWRA with
money ear-marked for wetlands acquisition and is managed by them. They
have erected a shelter on the site that appears to be made more for
instructional than picnicking purposes and is one of the quiet secrets
for birders in this area.

Another family of Red-headed Woodpeckers used to nest in the sycamores
along  Little Limestone Creek at the end of the road that goes by the
Westview Ponds. This area has since been sold off and the site, which
also included Warbling Vireo nests has been gated off. Another grouchy
owner will actually run birders off who bird the ponds (now pond) from
the road.

Another victim of the Bowmantown School area gentrification was Summer
Tanagers, that formerly summered (and I assume nested) there, but which
I haven't seen or heard for at least 5 years.

The loss of birding sites on private land in Washington County has been
almost 100 percent in the past 15 years. Fortunately the State of
Tennessee has spared this county from the establishment of a state park
and the attendant user fees of $3.50 for any birder who chooses to pull
up and do a quick scan of lands actually owned by himself and all other
taxpayers.

Personally I think it's time the people took back their parks from the
state, but that's another rant.

James Brooks
Jonesborough, TN