[TN-Bird] Re: Muscovy Ducks

  • From: David Chaffin <davchaffin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: terrywitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 15:42:33 -0400 (EDT)

Terry and TN birders,

Have several friends in FL, and have discussed with them this topic.

Muscovy duck is in the same situation now that the Nanday parakeet was prior to
this last ABA Committee checklist update that appeared in Birding several
months ago.  That is, now, the muscovy duck is countable on the FL state list,
but not the ABA list yet.  Even though the Nanday parakeet appeared in the
checklist update recently as an addition to the ABA list, even before that, it
was a countable bird for FL.  I think this can best be described as an
aberration, ha.  This is true in spite of the fact of Bill Pranty, author of
the most recent edition of the FL bird finding guide in the ABA series, is a
member of the current Checklist Committee for the ABA.  So you have to be a
contortionist to follow all the rules for listing for ABA and the various lists.

Similar to this scenario is the fact that rock pigeon is not a countable
species for the Alaska 200 Club or the AK state list as far as ABA listing is
concerned, but, obviously, it is a countable species in the ABA area.  I am
told that the opposition to this is mainly from the author of the AK state
list, but others on the AK state birds committee may feel the same.

Sometimes one must be careful to follow the various rules.

David Chaffin
Cleveland TN

Bradley Co