[TN-Bird] Muscovy Ducks

  • From: Terry Witt <terrywitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 08:37:04 -0700 (PDT)

Dean is correct that Muscovy is on the official list of Florida birds.
However, the Texas birds are natives from Mexico, not an introduced population
as are the Florida birds.
This is significant in that the Florida birds may not presently be countable on
an ABA list - I have tried to research this out and it is somewhat unclear, but
I think they still would not pass muster yet.
The ABA has a list of 8 criteria to add an exotic to the list (geographic in
this case), and as best I can tell, they have not voted on the Florida
population yet.
I may well be wrong, anyone with more up to date info??

Terry Witt
Murfreesboro Tn