[TN-Bird] Re: Exotic waterfowl, Rutherford County

  • From: Bill Pulliam <littlezz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: terrywitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 07:04:59 -0500

Of course, most domestic geese ARE Graylag Geese. Some (the "Chinese Geese") are Swan Geese.

Bill Pulliam
Hohenwald TN

On Oct 23, 2012, at 5:46 AM, Terry Witt wrote:

I received a call yesterday that an Egyptian Goose had joined the large flock of semiwild Canada Geese which hang around Gateway Pond behind the hospital in Murfreesboro. This species is not currently accepted on the ABA list, all sightings are considered to be escapes with no wild self-sustaining population now in N America. A few weeks ago, a Graylag Goose appeared there and stayed a few days. This bird breeds in Iceland and N Europe, and there is one accepted ABA record from 2005 when a goose landed on an oil- drilling ship 100 miles south of Newfoundland.

Gatherings of domestic waterfowl frequently attract genuine wild birds, and I remember seeing my first Ross's Goose on a golf course in SE Arizona one winter, with a flock of tame geese that would accept food from people at close range; some of you may also remember the Tundra Swan that appeared on a small pond behind an apartment complex in W Nashville and stayed for some time in winter as well.

These flocks of domestic birds are always worth checking for an unexpected visitor.

Cheers

Terry Witt