[TN-Bird] Exotic waterfowl, Rutherford County

  • From: Terry Witt <terrywitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 03:46:05 -0700 (PDT)

I received a call yesterday that an Egyptian Goose had joined the large flock
of
semiwild Canada Geese which hang around Gateway Pond behind the hospital in
Murfreesboro.  This species is not currently accepted on the ABA list, all
sightings are considered to be escapes with no wild self-sustaining population
now in N America.  A few weeks ago, a Graylag Goose appeared there and stayed a
few days.  This bird breeds in Iceland and N Europe, and there is one accepted
ABA record from 2005 when a goose landed on an oil-drilling ship 100 miles
south
of Newfoundland.

Gatherings of domestic waterfowl frequently attract genuine wild birds, and I
remember seeing my first Ross's Goose on a golf course in SE Arizona one
winter,
with a flock of tame geese that would accept food from people at close range;
some of you may also remember the Tundra Swan that appeared on a small pond
behind an apartment complex in W Nashville and stayed for some time in winter
as
well.

These flocks of domestic birds are always worth checking for an unexpected
visitor.

Cheers

Terry Witt