[TN-Bird] Duck River Unit

  • From: birdchaserrws <birdchaserrws@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2014 12:35:55 -0500

   I spent several hours at the Duck River Unit of the Tennessee National
Wildlife Refuge in Humphreys County today, October 2nd.

Starting at the Refuge entrance at dawn, I had a nice little Warbler flock that
included
Nashville Warbler 1
Bay-breasted Warbler 2
Pine Warbler 1
Yellow-throated Warbler 1
Chestnut-sided Warbler 2
Also 3 calling Wood Thrush, Gray-cheeked and Swainson's Thrush, and a flyover
Peregrine Falcon at dawn.

Next stop was the Pintail observation deck, where there was another Warbler
flock, including
Ovenbird 1
Orange-crowned 1
Mourning 1 (cooperative bird, very pretty with bright yellow belly and
distinctive gray head.)
Black-throated Green 1
Wilson's 1
Also Red-headed Woodpecker and a Lincoln's sparrow here.

The large weedy field adjacent to the Pintail deck produced
Sora 2
Wilson's Snipe 3
Sedge Wren 1-2
Marsh Wren 1
Palm Warbler 6
Savannah Sparrow 6
Swamp Sparrow 2
Bobolink 1
Northern Harrier 2
I wasn't dressed for it, but couldn't resist the beautiful grass. Plan to stop
here later for my Nelson' s.

The Wildlife loop had many Swallows in 4 different species, with Tree being the
most numerous, followed by Rough-winged, Barn and one Cliff/Cave, probably
Cliff.
Here the Peregrine Falcon showed himself for the fourth time, putting on a
spectacular show before circling high and leaving.

Ruben Stoll
Centerville Tennessee.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless smartphone