[TN-Bird] Duck River Unit

  • From: Stczipperer@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2012 20:19:38 -0400 (EDT)

August 4, 2012
Traveling
6:30 AM - 11:30 AM
Duck River Unit WMA
Humphreys County

After seeing Swallow-tailed Kites in Bledsoe County yesterday I headed to
Duck River Unit for Sedge Wrens.  A little prep work helped.  Had  their
call memorized before I got their.  Heard 3 before seeing one.   Ended up
seeing 4,  all singing and heard 6 more.  All except 1 were  on the opposite
side
of the dike from the big lake/pond after the last left hand  turn on the
Blue Goose loop. 2 new life birds in  2 days that's 16  since December 2011.

Other birds seen:

16 C. Goose
8 Mallard
1 Female or IMM Hooded Merganser
5 Wild Turkey
2, DC Cormorants
At least 20 each
GB Heron
Great Egret, most numerous
Little Blue Heron, All Juvenile, 1 Adult
Hard to keep count when they keep flying and trying not to drive off the
dikes.
Sandhill Crane probably same bird I saw flying and calling in July
4 Green Heron
1 Osprey seen soaring then saw another on Green navigation maker in  river.
 probably same bird.
Red Shouldered Hawk
Killdeer
4 Least Sandpipers
Solitary Sandpipers
1 Tern maybe a Black not sure.  Charcoal Gray on top including  Tail.
Black Bill,  Very small bird Looked like it had the black ear  spot shown in
guide book.  Never have seen one didn't want to call  it.
Good numbers of
Dickcissel
Indigo Bunting
Common Yellow Throat