[TN-Bird] Duck River

  • From: "Desgrosellier, Jay" <jay.desgrosellier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <TN-BIRD@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 17:14:41 -0500

Saturday, September 20, 2003
Narrows of the Harpeth State Park (Cheatham Co.) to Duck River Unit TN
NWR (Humphreys Co.), TN
6 am to 6pm

I started the day at the Narrows where things were a little slower than
I had hoped for given the passing of the recent front. However, I did
manage 14 species of warbler including NORTHERN PARULA, BLUE-WINGED,
OVENBIRD, YELLOW-THROATED, AMERICAN REDSTART, PRAIRIE, BLACK AND WHITE,
BAY-BREASTED, TENNESSEE, BLACK-THROATED GREEN, CHESTNUT-SIDED, COMMON
YELLOWTHROAT, MAGNOLIA and a late YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT. Also of interest
were my first of the fall ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAKS and 2 early
RUBY-CROWNED KINGLETS. Two BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHERS were still hanging
around and ACADIAN FLYCATCHER, YELLOW-THROATED, RED-EYED and WHITE-EYED
VIREOS were all still singing. A single LEAST FLYCATCHER was a nice find
and good numbers of GRAY CATBIRDS were found.

I then took the hour drive to Duck River where I added a few more
migrant passerines including most of the species above plus 2
YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOOS and 4 seemingly late EASTERN KINGBIRDS. An
interesting find since I didn't find a single kingbird along this route
last week. My attempt at calling for rails netted only 2 SORA. Duck
numbers in the area seem to have held steady since last week, though
species composition has changed. The large numbers of WOOD DUCKS have
dwindled to around 100, and BLUE-WINGED TEAL numbers seem to have
plateaued at around 500. However, GREEN-WINGED TEAL numbers have
increased to about 50 as have numbers of GADWALL, while at least 80
NORTHERN PINTAIL are now using the refuge. Large mudflats are still
exposed where the Duck River meets the Tennessee despite water levels
actually rising during the past week. Unlike last week though, when
there were plenty of shorebirds and poor lighting, this week I had great
lighting, but no shorebirds. Despite a very thorough search I could only
muster 8 LESSER YELLOWLEGS, 1 SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER and 2 AMERICAN
GOLDEN-PLOVER. The mudflats were ringed with teal though, all with their
heads down busily sifting through the mud. Out in Kentucky Lake the
numbers of AMERICAN WHITE PELICANS has grown to about 20, all of which
were sharing a sandbar with 32 CASPIAN TERNS.

Good Birding!

Jay Desgrosellier
Nashville, TN