[TN-Bird] Hummer delight

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 18:45:43 EDT

Greetings,

Having not seen a hummingbird at my feeder since Monday, September 15. I was
very excited to have THREE show up to feed in the slight drizzle we had at
5:15 PM today.  One fed extensively at the feeder, another must have sated
itself
before I went to the kitchen as it flew to a tree from whence it has not
returned, and the third was engaged in an altercation with a female redstart
apparently over a small airborne "flotilla" of little gnatty insects that were
hanging out above my althea bush.  As the shower increased in force, everyone
headed for back yard trees.  I don't know if they'll leave in this weather
tonight
(they say it might get BAD), or if I'll still have them in the morning.  It
was very windy here seemingly from the Northwest about an hour ago, so maybe it
brought the birds in.  Anyhow, I was glad to see the hummers.  They are soooo
special.

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN  (Charlotte Park, West Nashville, 0.3 miles E. of the
Cumberland River)