[TN-Bird] Duck River

  • From: "Desgrosellier, Jay" <jay.desgrosellier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <TN-BIRD@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 14:55:10 -0500

Sunday, September 14, 2003
Narrows of the Harpeth State Park, Cheatham WMA, Wiley-Pardue Rd. and
Cheatham Dam (Cheatham Co.) to the Duck River Unit of the Tennessee NWR
(Humphreys Co.)
7am-6pm

From the sounds of recent reports I wish I would've made this trip today
(Monday) rather than yesterday. Few migrants were noted on this route
with only 11 species of warblers noted. MAGNOLIA WARBLERS were the most
abundant with 12 being seen, with a smattering of CHESTNUT-SIDED,
YELLOW-THROATED, BLACK AND WHITE, TENNESSEE, NORTHERN PARULA, and
singles of COMMON YELLOWTHROAT, BLACKBURNIAN, PRAIRIE, PINE and
PROTHONOTARY WARBLERS. A LEAST FLYCATCHER, a YELLOW-BELLIED FLYCATCER
and two ACADIAN FLYCATCHERS made it a nice empid day though.

EURASIAN COLLARED DOVES continue their range expansion with a pair noted
in the town of McEwen on my way to Duck River along hwy. 70.

The numbers of ducks at Duck River continues to grow. By my estimate
there were about 1500 ducks and geese using the bottoms. At least 500 of
those are BLUE-WINGED TEAL with at least 200 WOOD DUCKS still present.
Nine NORTHERN PINTAIL were new additions as was a flock of about 20
GADWALL. Three BLACK TERNS and 2 CASPIAN TERNS were nice finds as were
the 6 AMERICAN WHITE PELICANS out in Kentucky Lake. The refuge pools are
too overgrown with grass for shorebirds right now, but fortunately the
water level out in the lake has dropped to expose large islands of mud.
Good numbers of shorebirds were using these islands, although wind, poor
light and distance hampered my ability to identify many of the birds. I
was able to i.d. at least 46 LESSER YELLOWLEGS, about 50 PECTORAL
SANDPIPERS, 3 SPOTTED SANDPIPERS, and a few each of LEAST SANDPIPERS and
SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS.

Good Birding!

Jay Desgrosellier
Nashville, TN