[TN-Bird] Re: Cumberland County

  • From: Bill Pulliam <littlezz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Birds bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 16:28:03 -0500

On Apr 28, 2012, at 12:41 PM, John Cyrus wrote:

One thing I've noticed with ebird is the odd setup they have for species this time of year in Cumberland County. Birds like Red- eyed Vireo, Great-crested Flycatcher, Hooded Warbler, and Scarlet Tanagers are coming up as rarities when I have seen many of each of the species.

This is an artifact of the way the eBird filters are currently constructed. These common/rare threshholds can only be set on a monthly basis. So if a Red-eyed Vireo is going to be treated as "common" on April 30, it has to also be treated as "common" on April 1. Vice-versa, if you want it to be "rare" (flagged for manual review) on April 1, it will have to also be flagged on April 30. It is especially an issue in late March and late April. It happens in reverse in May, too, when migrants that are common at the very beginning of the month but gone by the end of it might wind up being tagged as "rare" for the entire month. Someday there will likely be an upgrade, but not in the immediate future.

Bill Pulliam
Hohenwald TN