[TN-Bird] A follow-up comment about nuthatches

  • From: viclcsw@xxxxxxx
  • To: yodergoat@xxxxxxxxx, rivendell@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 20:53:45 -0500 (EST)

I live in south Knox County in east Tennessee.  I have also had red-breasted
nuthatches, at least three different individuals, but probably more, visiting
the feeders consistently since early fall.  I take my feeders down at night due
to raccoons.  The nuthatches return even when the feeders have not been present
for a few days due to my absence.  They are bold and seem unconcerned about my
presence while standing near the feeders, so I can certainly concur with
Shawna's comments on their compelling personalities.

What I most wanted to comment on is the less frequent visits of the
white-breasted nuthatches.  While they are present, they are fewer in number
and visits are much less frequent, fewer by 50-75% I would estimate, than in
past winters.

Vickie Henderson
South Knox County
Knoxville, TN