[TN-Bird] 12 weeks of red-breasted nuthatches

  • From: Ed Schneider <ed.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 10:34:34 -0600

Today marks exactly twelve weeks since we saw our first red-breasted nuthatches
of the season, and they have been seen at our feeders everyday since! October
27 was the day they first arrived. There still seems to be one male and two
females, but that might be a little speculative on our part.

Has anyone else had such reliability from these irruptives on a daily basis for
such a length of time? In years past we might have a few visits a year, but
never like this. Could they have found such suitable cavities to roost in that
they have no need to move on?

Ed Schneider
Southern Davidson Co.

P.s.- today at my in-laws in northern Williamson Co. they have upwards of 50
(!) pine siskin on, around, and especially under their nyger