[tinwhiskers] Re: - RoHS & BGAs!!!

  • From: Glen Herzog <gherzog@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 16:08:08 -0600

Hani,

That question should get you a mixture of responses!

Using SnPb solder on SAC balls, known as backward compatibility, tends to
result in a product that may not be as reliable as either SnPb on SnPb or SAC
on SAC.  However, when you know the environment that the product will see SnPb
on SAC balls may yield quite satisfactory reliability.  For example if you are
in a constant temperature, no shock, no vibration environment where a failure
is not life threatening, SnPb on SAC may be satisfactory.  That is the mix that
we have been using for several years and are satisfied.  We know that we will
have to do lead free (someday) but for the time being we can afford to let the
rest of the industry figure out which lead free it is going to be.

If you do consider SnPb on SAC I recommend a thorough literature search and
some experimentation on your part.

Another note, SAC solder in combination with SnPb melts at 207C-208C.  So, add
20C and you could solder at 225C to 230C and not stress the components so much
and not grow as thick of an intermetallic layer.  You can get a good mix of
solders at 220C and above.

Good Luck.

Glen Herzog
Quality Manager