[tinwhiskers] Re: - RoHS & BGAs!!!

  • From: "Parnagian, Edward" <ed.parnagian@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 17:51:18 +0100

Hi, Werner!

If you take a look at Figure 1 of the attached PDF, you will see impact
performance compared against SnPb.  Of note is the easily missed performance
bars for SAC305 and SAC387.  The two formulations that the most attractive from
an impact perspective are SAC with 0.13% Manganese and SAC with 0.2% Cerium.
Given that other reports demonstrate that adding Cerium stimulates whisker
growth, I'm interested in following development of the manganese formulation.

Best regards,
Ed

From: tinwhiskers-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:tinwhiskers-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
[mailto:tinwhiskers-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:tinwhiskers-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?>]

On Behalf Of Bob Landman

Sent: 2009 Feb 18 9:51 AM

To: tin whiskers forum

Cc: <tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>

Hani,

Some companies still offer BGA in tin-lead (Lattice Semi is one of

them). I recently helped to convince Analog Devices to put tin-lead

balls on a MEMS device for an aerospace firm as the devices were

popping off after reflow.

Your hardware designers need to push the envelope harder. Demand tin-

lead solder balls.

Bob

P.S. Later today I'll get you other papers on the subject.

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 18, 2009, at 9:24 AM, "AL-Yousef, Hani
E"<Hani.AL-Yousef@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:Hani.AL-Yousef@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

 > wrote:

> Bob,

> We are forced to use SAC BGA since that is the only thing available

> for

> that part. I guess your advice would be, look for another part that

> comes in tin lead.  I have to work on the firmware guys for that.

> Would happen to have any white papers, experiments documentations,

> application notes that state the concerns that you shared?

> Thanks,

> Hani

The information contained in this message may be confidential and legally

protected under applicable law. The message is intended solely for the

addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified

that any use, forwarding, dissemination, or reproduction of this message is

strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient,

please contact the sender by return e-mail and destroy all copies of the