[tinwhiskers] Re: - RoHS & BGAs!!!

  • From: "Meschter, Stephan J \(US SSA\)" <stephan.j.meschter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 20:24:48 -0500

Alvin,
You will also want to pay attention to Re-work. The thermal profile
assoc. with hot gas rework is considerably different from SMT convection
reflow. The mixture of Pb-free and SnPb has a greater pasty range so
cooling rate and keeping track of the last region to cool are important.
I have heard that the solder process temperature window is tighter than
SnPb because you want to ensure good mixing, but not overheat the other
SnPb parts on the board. During the creation of GEIA-HB-0005-2, we spent
a lot of time on this topic. Unfortunately many of the papers had
conflicting results and there was hardly anything on vibration and shock
environments a couple of years ago.

There is a NASA DoD lead-free solder test underway that is evaluating
SAC305 and SN100C Pb-free alloys over military environments. Included in
the rework matrix are Pb-free BGAs soldered with SnPb solder paste.
http://www.teerm.nasa.gov/projects/NASA_DODLeadFreeElectronics_Proj2.htm

There is also a fair amount of info on mixed solder reliability that
resides within the various consortia (CALCE Univ. of Maryland, Unovis
area array consortium, CAVE Auburn, STACK, HDPUG, iNEMI, etc.).

Good luck.
Stephan Meschter
BAE Systems - Johnson City, NY.