[tinwhiskers] Re: Bourns announces hot dipping of tin - comments?

  • From: Werner engelmaier <engelmaier@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tinwhiskers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 12:42:33 -0500

Having to waste all these resources, particularly in these economic times, certainly does not help. Osama bin Laden must be laughing himself silly in his cave—we are doing his work for him.

Werner

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Hot-dipped-tin process offers path to increased market share in competitive

times

Feb 12 2009 11:15AM | Permalink <http://www.edn.com/blog/1470000147/post/190040619.html

Blog This! using:  Blogger.com <http://www.blogger.com/blog-this.g?t=%3cblockquote%3eOne+of+the+concerns+of+companies+complying+with+lead%2Dfree+manufacturing+processes+under+the+European+ROHS+%28Restriction+of+Hazardous+Substances%29+dir%2E%2E%2E%3c%2fblockquote%3e&u=http%3a%2f%2fwww.edn.com%2fblog%2f1470000147%2fpost%2f190040619.html&n=Hot%2Ddipped%2Dtin+process+offers+path+to+increased+market+share+in+competitive+times

Digg This <http://digg.com/submit?phase=2&url="">>

| Slashdot This <http://slashdot.org/submit.pl>  | add to Del.icio.us

<http://del.icio.us/post

One of the concerns of companies complying with lead-free <http://www.edn.com/hot-topic/48810/rohs.html

manufacturing processes under the European ROHS <http://www.edn.com/hot-topic/48810/rohs.html

(Restriction of Hazardous Substances) directive is the tin whiskers that can

develop over time on tin plating. Trim pot manufacturer Bourns

<http://www.bourns.com/>  recently announced it was shifting its entire line to

a new hot-dipped-tin process for the trim pots' terminals. Bourns will no longer

offer the old matte-finished parts because of the tin-whisker danger. Although

the company made the change at the request of its customers, it won't be passing

the price increase on.

Emill Melliz, Bourns' potentiometer product line manager, puts the price

increase at between 5-7%. Why is Bourns eating this not-inconsiderable amount?

They see it as a way to increase market share in a very competitive economy.

Smart company.