[THIN] Re: high availability

  • From: "Ron Oglesby" <roglesby@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 14:06:37 -0500

Simple answer. No it does not need to be clustered. Complicated answer...
maybe.

I mean the real trick is how many (and what type) of changes will you need
to make if it is unavailable. In most cases your answer will be none. We can
operate without making changes to the DS for a couple of days. If that is
true then you don't need the cluster.

Replication or shipping of the DB/Logs is needed though for any type of DR.
Of course there are drawbacks to this too. I mean If you use transactional
replication then when the primary is gone you cant make changes anyway
(until you turn the subscriber into the publisher). So it all depends.

Hey, I can come out and work on this with ya. It sounds fun and right up my
alley.

Ron Oglesby
Senior Technical Architect
Microsoft MVP - Windows Server