[THIN] Re: Upgrade Farm XP FR3 to MPS 4.0

  • From: "Rick Mack" <Rick.Mack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 07:33:17 +1000

Hi Jan,

An in place upgrade is fairly straight forward although the methodology varies
according to the size of your farm:

Install MF Xp SP4, only issue we had here was one customer who was using a non
system account for the ADF installer service. This stopped the upgrade at the
installing services point but we changed the service logon and the upgrade
worked.

Depending on the timing (how long it's going to take) you might want to
consider installing the post SP4 hotfix rollup. The main strategy here is that
if you're going to stage the upgrade rather than do all the servers together
you need a stable XP platform.

The next step varies. The Citrix recommendation is that you upgrade to PS4 into
a new farm, or at the very least you ensure a separate zone and ZDC for the PS4
servers. If you're doing all your servers together I wouldn't worry about a new
farm. In this case I generally copy the datastore (SQL, MSDE, NO MSAcess!!),
make a new DSN file and either use "dsmaint config" or chfarm to point each
server to the new farm at the point of upgrade. There is a minimal risk that
the datastore might get clagged. This way the original production farm is stil
untouched. If the upgrade time is short, the new datastore can have the same
farm name, if it's a staged upgrade, I'd suggest a new farm. If you have to
talk to 2 farms, then having a WI front end wil make ife a lot easier.

Anyway, once you've sorted out the farm/datastore stuff the upgrade to PS4 is
straightforward. Maybe we've been lucky but no problems so far. Install the
post PS4 hotfixes and the job is almost done.

Installing SP1 can sometimes be a challenge but the only significant (show
stopper) problem we've had is with the driver signing subsystem. (can'r
validate upfate.inf). If you stop the cryptography service, delete
%systemroot%\system32\catroot2, delete  %systemroot%\system32\catroot\tmp*, and
the restart the cryptography service, SP1 should install fine.

As you're probably aware the "extra" security in SP1 will break a few things so
testing on a trial upgraded server beforehand isn't a bad idea.

Have fun.

regards,

Rick

Ulrich Mack