[THIN] Re: The Truth about Windows 4GB Memory Limit

  • From: "Brian Madden" <brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 10:04:44 -0500

Ahh.. Good point.

More than 4GB of memory in a single server is fine for "regular" servers.
Things like SQL and Exchange and other regular apps work fine and make use
of the added memory. In these cases, the fact that they each require 4x PTEs
in the kernel doesn't matter since you're not near the limit.

Also, VMware is a good point too. The each virtual machine uses that hosts
application memory, not kernel memory. Therefore, you won't run into any
issues because the host is not in danger of running out of kernel memory
(since it's only running a few apps). Of course each VM is fine too, because
they each have their own kernel space within their memory pool.

I guess I'm interested whether anyone out there is running a full blown
application Terminal Server with more than 4GB of memory.

Brian

Brian Madden
brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
+1.202.302.3657
Visit www.brianmadden.com for in-depth Citrix, Terminal Server, and
server-based computing news and analysis, white papers, downloadable videos,
and product reviews.