[THIN] Re: The Truth about Windows 4GB Memory Limit

  • From: "Andrew Rogers" <Andrew.Rogers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 15:24:01 +0000

In which case, what WILL the limit be set to? Or have they unrestricted it?=
 (Or is it half of whatever crazy about 64bit allows, 2Tb or something?!) A=
nd crikey almighty, thousands of users????

And what do you mean its expensive? Whats the expensive part? I thought Opt=
erons were cheaper than the equivalent Xeons? Of course Itaniums are mega e=
xpensive, but hey.. :)

And of course, you are aware that technically, the Opteron doesnt HAVE a fr=
ont side bus? :) Its memory controller/northbridge chip is on the cpu itsel=
f, it still talks to the memory at whatever speed its rated at..!

Andrew
--o--

>>> brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 20/02/04 14:56:50 >>>
Bingo! You're 100% correct.

64-bit chips with 64-bit OSes won't have that 2GB kernel limit. (Of course
we'll have to deal with how well they run 32-bit applications on a 64-bit
platform.. hopefully better than Itanium!)

The problem is that Citrix has no plans to develop a 64-bit version of
MetaFrame, and MetaFrame XP on Itanium 2 with 64-bit W2k3 doesn't work.

However, if you go with native TS, Intanium 2, and 64-bit Windows, you can
see user levels through the roof.. (Think "thousands")

I'll be doing the same test on an Opteron system once the OS code is in
production. I'll keep you posted... (It's so expensive though, so it's a
real cost/benefit question.)

Hey, just FYI, did you know that the Opteron's front side bus runs at the
CPU core speed! None of this 3GHz/800Mhz FSB Intel BS...

Man, Opteron is so cool I want to pee my pants! (Yes, you can quote me on
that :-)

Brian

Brian Madden
brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx=20
+1.202.302.3657
Visit www.brianmadden.com for in-depth Citrix, Terminal Server, and
server-based computing news and analysis, white papers, downloadable videos,
and product reviews.

This weeks sponsor Vizioncore, Inc.
--> vc-iMonitor - Performance Monitoring, Control & Reporting
--> vc-iControl - Desktop & Start Menu Management & Reporting
--> vc-iMapper - Drive, Printer & COM Management & Reporting
http://vizioncore.com/products.html