[THIN] The Truth about Windows 4GB Memory Limit

  • From: "Brian Madden" <brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 09:25:16 -0500

Hi Everyone,

Just FYI, I threw together a quick article about my findings regarding the
4GB memory limit in Windows.

The down and dirty is:

(1) Do NOT under any circumstances use the /3GB or /4GT boot.ini switches on
a Terminal Server

(2) Using the /PAE boot.ini switch will severely LIMIT your number of PTEs
(which are really needed in TS environments). Since PAE is required when
more than 4GB of memory is installed, I would recommend that Terminal
Servers do NOT have more than 4GB of memory.

(3) The "64-bit" memory addressing model that's used when PAE is enabled
does NOT remove the 2GB kernel memory limit.

A question: Does anyone run Terminal Servers with more than 4GB of RAM? If
so, I'd like to talk to you off list. I have a few questions about why you
went that route and what your experiences with it are.

Oh, that article is at http://www.brianmadden.com/thin

Brian

Brian Madden

brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

+1.202.302.3657

Visit  <http://www.brianmadden.com> www.brianmadden.com for in-depth Citrix,
Terminal Server, and server-based computing news and analysis, white papers,
downloadable videos, and product reviews.

This weeks sponsor Vizioncore, Inc.
--> vc-iMonitor - Performance Monitoring, Control & Reporting
--> vc-iControl - Desktop & Start Menu Management & Reporting
--> vc-iMapper - Drive, Printer & COM Management & Reporting
http://vizioncore.com/products.html