[THIN] Re: The Anti-Virus Question (again!)

  • From: "Jay Moock" <jmoock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 13:52:26 -0400

We used to run Trend, which ran OK but kept letting things through and
telling us we had infections after the fact, so we've switched to
Sophos.  So far so good.  Seems a tad memory hungry though.

One test that I found rather revealing while reviewing various products
was to go to www.antispyware.com and see how the AV reacted when I
attempted to download and install this piece of crap.  Some of the real
big names, even with their supposed antispyware pieces enabled, would
let this thing right through.  Only the products that prevented
installation with little or no configuration tweaking were seriously
considered by us (we didn't want to spend an inordinate amount of time
trying to make something work, we wanted a product that would do what it
should do right out of the box).  Of the products that passed this test,
Sophos provided the best combination of management and protection.  ESET
and Kaspersky were the runners up, but IMO the ESET console was way too
complex for our small environment and Kaspersky seemed like a good
product with a poor management tool thrown in afterwards, but this is
just my assessment based on limited testing and I am sure many others
are very happy with both products. :)