[THIN] Re: The Anti-Virus Question (again!)

  • From: Adam Thompson <adwulf@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 13:51:33 +0100

2009/8/20 Joe Shonk <joe.shonk@xxxxxxxxx>:
> I’ve would stay away from Symantec.  Their filter drivers are horrible and
> unstable.  On top of that, their support is pretty bad.
>

> Joe

I have had the same issues with McAfee's filter drivers and the
support.  The filter drivers seem to be especially unstable in x64
environments.

It really winds me up when you go to the trouble of using their MER
tool, sending them the data and the numerous crash dumps, only to have
absolutely no updates to the ticket, even when you chase.  The ticket
then gets 'archived' (which as far as I can tell, means 'closed and
forgotten about'), and you end up having to get a new ticket raised,
run the MER tool again, upload the crashdumps again and then wait for
the new ticket to be 'archived'.  Again.

I was especially amused to be asked to run the MER tool on an Itanium
server.  Large parts of it won't run on IA64, which means McAfee don't
have enough data to investigate...

Another thing that annoys me about McAfee is the support site.  They
seem to have a habit of moving their KB articles around,  renumbering
them and not leaving any pointer from the old page to the new one.
You'll often find people in the forums saying "take a look at kb
article 12345", only to be greeted with a 404, and no pages matching
it in the kb search.

--
AdamT
Follow ThinList on Twitter