[THIN] Re: Taking a big downgrading step

  • From: Adam.Baum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 16:49:26 -0700

Talk about slow....I received this msg from the list at 4:40 or so (GMT
-7).  I sent it almost 8hrs earlier.

adam

             Adam.Baum@cityofm
             esa.org t
             thin-bounce@freel         thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
             ists.org                                                   cc

                                                                   Subject
             05/17/2007 07:53          [THIN] Re: Taking a big downgrading
             AM                        step

             Please respond to
             thin@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Or.. If you are under maintnenance, why not upgrade to PS or PS4.5?  We've
had very little problems with PS4.

adam

             "Rick Mack"
             <ulrich.mack@gmai
             l.com>                                                     To
             Sent by:                  thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
             thin-bounce@freel                                          cc
             ists.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       [THIN] Re: Taking a big downgrading
             05/17/2007 04:46          step
             AM

             Please respond to
             thin@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Angus,

I'm surprised Citrix couldn't help you resolve your issues, particularly
since there are some really good Citrix SEs in the UK. However before you
throw out your PS3 farm completely, would you be willing to give us some
details about your printer setup? Do you use network printers (and local
printer drivers) or are you using a third party printer driver solution?

As you probably know, the Stressprinters utility was introduced to identify
PS4 printing issues (dud drivers), but if you're running the latest HP
printer drivers then spooler instability and memory corruption caused by
the drivers could be taking out your PS3 IMA service and/or RPC service.
Try bouncing the spooler service to see what happens to the unresponsive
IMA service? If that works, then printer drivers have to be high on your
list of reasons for your problems.

As far as licensing goes, it's stating the obvious that XP and PS3 use
different licensing methodologies. If you upgraded your PS3 farm from XP
then the licenses are still present and you could technically just join
your XP servers to the PS3 farm. If you didn't upgrade then you'll need a
new farm/datastore. Having said that, I'd opt for a new farm (datastore)
regardless because the datastore structures are somewhat different and it
might cause new problems that you don't need if you're escaping existing
ones. It's not that hard to export/import published apps etc from one farm
to the other.

Anyway, good luck.

regards,

Rick

--
Ulrich Mack
Commander Australia

On 5/17/07, Angus Macdonald <Angus.Macdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  I've been struggling with a big problem on my main PS3 / W2K3 farm for a
  long time now. I've posted here a few times but never managed to get to
  the bottom of it. Basically, servers become unresponsive to ICA traffic,
  requiring a reboot. The server itself runs fine but Citrix sessions die,
  the IMA cannot be stopped or started etc etc.

  This has become such an issue for us, I'm planning to downgrade to MFXP
  which has always behaved impeccably on another of our farms. The question
  is, if I uninstall PS3 and install MFXP on a server for testing purposes,
  will I be able to join it to the existing PS3 farm, or will I have to
  create a new MFXP farm? PS4 is out of the question because of problems
  between it and our main app and HP terminals.

  Angus

SBC SITES ONLY GOOGLE SEARCH: http://www.F1U.com