[THIN] Server recommendations

  • From: "Rink, Jesse" <JRink@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 10:47:38 -0600

Looking for some feedback here.  I worked a lot with load balanced farms and
NFuse in the past with Winframe and Metaframe 1.8, but I haven't used Citrix/TS
in about 2 years so I'm kinda rusty.  XP wasn't even available when I was
managing my Citrix servers so I'm clueless when it comes to XP.  That being
said, be nice to me, haha.

I'm currently considering updating one of our computer labs (in the high
school) which has older PII machines.  The original thought was to buy brand
new PCs but I'm starting to reconsider and thinking about going Citrix (or
maybe just terminal services) and re-using the old PCs.  The older PII machines
should be enough to work as thin clients.  The PCs are mainly used to surf the
internet (IE), Office XP (mainly Word, Publisher, Power Point), a speech
program, and a CAD program.

I was tentatively looking at using Citrix XP with load balancing for the lab.
(2) IBM x345 servers with dual 2GHz processors, 1GB memory, and a single 36GB
drive.  I've always been under the theory that when you use Citrix load
balancing, it's more cost effective to NOT stock your servers with redundant
power supplies, redundant drives, redundant NICs, etc. since the redundancy is
taken care of via load balancing instead of at the server level.  This keeps my
cost of hardware cheaper, which saves me money to afford the load balancing
piece for Citrix or software assurance, etc.

My question is whether or not the proposed server setup listed above would be
adequate for this lab.  All 30 PCs would be used at the same time, so I could
POSSIBLY have 30 users using internet explorer at the same time so I need my
servers capable of handling this load.   I was originally thinking having (2)
IBM x345 servers with a single processor, but I'm leaning towards dual
processors.  I'm looking for feedback from people on whether my server config
would be adequate or whether I need more servers/hardware.

If memory serves me correctly, and it probably doesn't, I thought a dual
processor PIII Xeon processor server with a lot of memory could easily handle
25 users.  If that's true, then my configuration with two servers would be
overkill.

Thoughts?  Thanks.

Jesse Rink
Network Engineer