[THIN] PS4 hung on logon

  • From: "Matthew Shrewsbury" <MShrewsbury@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 10:44:07 -0500

Over the past few weeks I have started to have issues with servers
hanging at logon and users freezing up while working in PS4. When the
server is restarted the problem goes away.

When I try to logon to the affected server the logon screen will hang at
"Mapping Client Drives", or "Restoring Network Connections".

Nothing obvious appears in the event viewer (some crashed applications
but I think this occurs after the problem starts). So on a hunch I tried
to stop the print spooler service. The Citrix Print Manager Service
can't be stopped and errors "The Citrix Print Manager Service service
could not be stopped" and "System Error 1051 has occurred". The service
then shows "stopping" in the MMC but never seems to stop.

The most recent printer installed was the HP LJ 4250dtn which is on the
HP compatibility guide for Citrix and I confirmed the version is correct
according to the HP guide.

My current environment is PS4 Advanced on Windows 2003 with SP1. PS4
hotlist fix is, PSE400R02W2K3001, PSE400R02W2K3002, PSE400R02W2K3004,
PSE400R02W2K3006, PSE400R02W2K3010, PSE400R02W2K3018, PSE400R02W2K3027,
PSE400W2K3R02.0.1.

I'd appreciate any suggestion on how to pin down the cause of this
intermittent hanging. The hanging seems to occur on any of the servers
in the farm (3 in the farm) and is happening almost once per day on one
of the servers. Until recently the farm had been very stable and no
major changes have been made.

Does the "Citrix Print Manager Service" failing to stop conclusively
indicate this is a printer related issue or is this just a symptom of
the problem? Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Matthew Shrewsbury
Director of Information Technology

Coscan Homes, LLC
5555 Anglers Avenue, Suite 1
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33312
mshrewsbury@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.coscanhomes.com
Phone: 954-620-1052
Fax: (954)-620-1001

This e-mail, and any attachments thereto, contains PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named herein. If you
are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail, and any attachments
thereto, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error,
please immediately notify me at 954-620-1052 and permanently delete the
original, including any attachments thereto, and any copy or printout thereof.

JPEG image