[THIN] Re: Licensing Vista for VDI - Are you ready for VDI Maybe not

  • From: "Steve Greenberg" <steveg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 23:20:57 -0700

> "Microsoft went nuts trying to get the toothpaste back in the tube on that
one"

>>Classic!

>> Joe

That IS a true classic, Greg is on a major role here! When MS had to get the
toothpaste back in the tube with Citrix Multi-Win they had to go out and buy
Prologue (RDP) and scramble to come up with Terminal Services as they  made
"a deal" with Citrix to shelve Picasso (Multi-Win on NT 4 Server) which was
already working ( I know I still have the beta disk in my archive).

They had the option available to them of choosing not to renew the source
code agreement with Citrix. When it comes to VDI it is a different
situation. It happens to be in everyone's benefit this time arouind.
Microsoft and Citrix's incentives in this space are very well aligned- i.e.
the best thing for both of them is a series of options that MS can provide
that reduce the value of VMWare while maintaining their license revenues. At
the same time Citrix needs the new space to require their add-on value for
which they will continue to charge for these products which extend MS
functionality.

Really this is a good thing for everyone. The down side for customers is
that they will continue to have to pay for multiple layers of licenses for
the functionality they want, i.e. Desktop, Presentation Virtualization,
Server Virtualization, Desktop Virtualization, Secure Access, load
balancing, etc, etc.

Did anyone really think that was ever going to change? They are all in
business to make money, we always have the option NOT to buy from them!

Stepping off soap box now...

Steve