[THIN] Re: Hidedrives

  • From: "Braebaum, Neil" <Neil.Braebaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 16:54:59 +0100

Comments inline...

OK...

> but if I want to run a
> Kix script on a computer, don't I have to install KiXtart on
> that computer for it to run?

You're mistaken. ;-)

Kixtart (for Winnt platforms and later) is just a single executable -
you can copy it locally - it's just a file, or (bandwidth permitting)
just run it from NETLOGON.

> If so, I would say that VBScript
> has the benefit of being able to run natively on any
> Windows-based computer.

Which is a faulty conclusion, based on a faulty premise.

> No big deal for one computer, but
> more work if you write a domain login script that hundreds or
> thousands of domain computers will run.

Which I do.

And as I said previously - I use cmd kix and vbs login scripts.

My position is merely against a) blind advocacy b) technology choice out
of mere preference.

Moreover, using the correct technology for the correct things, and
seeing the pros / cons *correctly*.

> I always prefer to
> use tools that are native to the operating system when they
> will suffice.

Kixtart actually started off written by a Microsoft employee and freely
distributed with resource kits!!!

I prefer to use the most appropriate and suitable tool for the task -
and point out the attributes and suitabilities accurately - rather than
merely pandering to preferences.

I use all the scripting technologies being discussed, I'm merely
striving to point out where they are suited, and where they are not
suited.

e-mail from your system.
to any person or organisation.