[THIN] Re: Full desktop for 900 users

  • From: "Bernd Harzog" <Bernd.Harzog@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 10:23:45 -0500

Let me point out some not so well known quirks of Task Manager. The
first is that if you add VM size as a column in Task Manager, that what
VM size actually reports is just page file usage (and not page file plus
RAM which is the true definition of VM). If you want to know the true
amount of Virtual Memory that a process is using you have to add the
values in the Mem Usage column to the values in the VM size column. If
you think that doing this is painful for each of the processes running
on the terminal server (and you are right that it is), and you want to
automate the process, send me an email. We have a utility that captures
those values and drops them into an Excel compatible spreadsheet. If you
want it, I will email it to you for free.

The second quirk extends not just to Task Manager but to many of the
underlying Perfmon metrics as well. This quirk is that the CPU
utilization numbers that are reported (in for example the CPU column in
Task Manager) do not include the time that the OS spends on Kernel Mode
operations. This is why you can sometimes have an unresponsive computer
(a desktop or a terminal server) and see low CPU utilization numbers.
What is happening in this case is that the OS is off in Kernel Mode
(doing something like reading and writing the page file), and that since
Kernel Model operations block user mode operations, nothing else can
happen while the computer is in this state.

Cheers,

Bernd Harzog
CEO
RTO Software