[THIN] Re: Dual ZDCs?

  • From: "Jeremy Saunders" <Jeremy.Saunders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 13:48:31 +1100

Hi Stephanie,

What you are seeing is correct, it obviously just hasn't been explained
to you correctly. The Engineer should have whiteboarded this for you.

Each zone can only have ONE Data Collector at any one time. You have a
"Primary", which will always be the server set to "Most Preferred", and
you have a Backup, which is set to "Preferred". The backup will take
over when the Primary fails, is taken off-line, etc. I personally always
set the remainder of farm member servers to "Not Preferred" to ensure
they never take part in any zone elections. Others will leave them set
to "Default", just in case.

If you go to the command line on any server, type "qfarm". This will
list all servers in the farm. The ones with the D after their IP Address
will be the active Data Collectors for those zones. So in your case you
will see two.

By the way, it is not a requirement to run the Access Management Console
or Presentation Server Console (AKA CMC) from the Data Collector. Any
farm server will do, and if your zone is working correctly, the
information returned will be consistent no matter which server you
connect to.

I hope that explains it.

Cheers,

Jeremy.