[THIN] Re: Dual ZDCs?

  • From: "Joe Shonk" <joe.shonk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 07:35:33 -0700

Do these servers have multi-nics connected to different networks?  If so,
that is probably where your problem lies.  While it is possible to use
multiple NICS (not bonded), it is highly NOT recommended and definitely not
a best practice.

Each zone had a 1 Data Collector (DC) that is elected.  So if you have two
zones, you will have two DCs (or we like to call them ZDCs).

Any server that has direct access to the database can function as a DC so in
order to dedicate a server/vm to this role you must set the election
preference (Most Preferred).  Some organizations like to have a backup ZDC.
Technically, there is no such thing.  It's simply a server that has been
dedicated to serve as the ZDC in the event the real ZDC become unavailable.
Again, this is accomplished by setting election preference so the machine is
the event of a failure.

Now having a "backup" ZDC is nice because you can also use that server to
host additional infrastructure services or act as a backup.  So in the event
of a failure of an infrastructure server you're not impacting your
application servers.  Examples of additional infrastructure services.   DC
Role, XML, STA, Metric Server.  Smaller farm could also host Web Interface
and the Licensing server (CTX and/or MS) while large orgs will want to split
WI and Licensing onto separate servers.

Also, the imalhc.mdb is the local host cache,  not the Data Store.  Do you
know if your data store is Access, SQL Express or SQL?

Joe