[THIN] Citrix and MSCS failover problem

  • From: "Lee, David (CITY TREASURY)" <David.Lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 17:46:48 -0000

We have a Windows 2000 Advanced Server cluster which hosts a file share
containing forms for an Oracle application.  Our Win2K / Citrix servers
(Metaframe XPe) run an application which uses these forms.

The problems started today when we needed to perform a cluster failover for
maintenance purposes - I was able to successfully move all cluster resources
to the other node, but the helpdesk then started to receive calls from
Citrix users complaining about the Oracle application failing.  Basically,
the application could no longer see the path to the forms files, like the
file share had gone down.  However, I was able to successfully browse the
share from a Citrix desktop, although the Windows explorer initially
indicated that the drive mapping was disconnected.  I'm aware that failover
can interupt the service for a few seconds, but I still had users in this
state 20 minutes afterwards!  Users attempting to set up new sessions after
the failover were also affected.

It is almost as if the Citrix servers were connecting direct to the cluster
node rather than the virtual server, hence failover broke their connection.
However, the Citrix servers are configured to use the virtual server, so
I've had to rule that out as well.  I've got everything back up now by
rebooting the Citrix servers (desperate!), but I'm still concerned that the
Citrix servers did not cope with an MSCS failover, any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Dave Lee