[THIN] Re: Business case, Healthcare facilities

  • From: "Greg Reese" <GReese@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 11:14:29 -0400

we do.  Everybody gets a thin client and runs a full desktop for all apps.
Except nurses.  We publish their apps and that's all they get.

>>How has it impacted your users' workflow?

I don't think it has.  We went from green screens and an A/S400 to Citrix and
thin clients.

>> What impact has it had on your T.C.O.?

It's been good.  Deployments are cheap and easy.  We support four facilities
with just two people an no on site IT staff

>> What effect has it had on the level of support you can provide your users?

Very effective support.  We shadow when necessary and that generally solves it.
 Things run well because all we have to really worry about is security and the
servers.

>>How often do you need to provide one-off alternatives for products that are
>>not TS friendly?

So far we have not.  Sometimes we will publish something on its own server if
it dials up or something or is a resource hog.  That way it doesn't impact
everyone else

>>What is your ratio of concurrent use for licensing?

ratio?  Not sure what you mean.

>>What is your ratio of concurrent users to metaframe or TS servers?

again, huh?

>>What would you have done differently?

Different terminals.  We bought the wrong brand from the get go and have been
paying for it ever since.  I also would have gone to a published app and nFuse
delivery for all users rather than just remote ones.  nFuse wasn't around when
we deployed though. The full desktop is a bit unnecessary but now that they are
used to it, I can't take it away without a fight.

Greg

We would be interested in hearing from anyone in a healthcare or similar
facility that has gone to a primarily Citrix/Terminal Services/thin client
environment for the delivery of ALL I.T. products (Meditech as well as MS
Office, etc.)

How has it impacted your users' workflow?

What impact has it had on your T.C.O.?

What effect has it had on the level of support you can provide your users?

How often do you need to provide one-off alternatives for products that are not
TS friendly?

What is your ratio of concurrent use for licensing?

What is your ratio of concurrent users to metaframe or TS servers?

What would you have done differently?

All feedback is appreciated, thanks.

Bob Higgins, MCSE
Information Systems Server Administrator
Chinook Health Region
960 19th Street South
Lethbridge, Alberta
T1J 1W5