[THIN] Re: Business case, Healthcare facilities

  • From: "Ron Oglesby" <roglesby@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 11:00:11 -0500

I have done 3 hospital implementations in the last 9 or so months. Here
is what I saw Server/user wise

Hospital 1 running a SNA gateway app called desktop 7000 and office
apps. Dual proc 2gb server getting about 30-active connections per. Of
course nursing stations aren't busy half the time so they run this up to
abou 60 total session per box.

Hospital 2  running Epic. Again duals with 2gb. Getting about 35-40 per
box.

Hospital 3, Running Cerner Power chart with every option you can have.
Power Chart is FAT in Mem usage and heavy on the proc side in several
sub apps. We think we could take these server to about 20 or so active
users. BUT they keep so many servers online it runs at about 12 users
per box.

The other thing you have to look at is how active your medical staff is.
You may have 1500 clients spread around in patient rooms, common work
areas etc, But what percentage is in use at once. Most hospitals this is
abou 2 to 1. but not always.

Ron Oglesby

Senior Technical Architect

RapidApp