[THIN] Re: Antivirus on Citrix

  • From: Adam Thompson <adwulf@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 12:51:03 +0100

We're currently having McAfee issues, with this bug in patch 5:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB72280

It seems to disproportionately effect XenApp servers (at least in the
server estate I look after).

Unfortunately, downgrading to patch 4 leaves these servers exposed to this bug:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB70384

And the hotfix contains the same bug as patch 5.

I'd definitely check that the bug with patch 5 has been resolved
before deploying VirusScan 8.7 to any XenApp servers.  The fix is due
this week (although it was originally due last week).

We also have some Citrix/XenApp servers running Trend Micro - and
we've not yet had any major problems with that.  I also like Sophos,
but I've never used it in a Xen terminal services environment.

On 25 July 2011 12:07, James Scanlon <James.Scanlon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Any suggestions for or against AV on citrix? Im concerned from a performance
> point of view..with on access scanning affecting server performance for
> users accessing heaps of small files etc....??
>
> Does any one have any 'best practise' doco for or against?!
>
> James
>
> ______________________________________
>

> C. Hoare & Co. is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services
> Authority with registration no. 122093. The FSA’s address is 25, The North
> Colonnade, Canary Wharf, London E14 5HS.
>
> Registered in England no. 240822. Registered office 37 Fleet St, London,
> EC4P 4DQ
>

> Confidentiality Disclaimer:
>
> This message and attachments are confidential and may be privileged, and are
> sent for the personal attention of the addressee(s). If you are not the
> intended addressee, any use, disclosure or copying of this document is
> unauthorised. Information transmitted by email may be intercepted, lost,
> destroyed, corrupted or delayed and as a result, C. Hoare & Co. do not
> accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in the contents of this
> message. If you would like to confirm the contents of this email, please
> request a hard copy version.
>

> If the contents of this message are of a personal nature, the email will
> have been sent in a personal capacity and not on behalf of C. Hoare & Co.
>

> Monitoring/Viruses:
>
> C. Hoare & Co. may monitor all incoming and outgoing emails in line with
> current legislation. Although emails are screened for viruses, C. Hoare &
> Co. cannot guarantee that any transmissions will be virus free.

AdamT
Karaoke: Japanese for 'avoid this pub'.  As in "Karaoke, Saturday 7pm-11pm".