[THIN] Re: Access XP/2003 on Win2003/MPS 3?

  • From: "Parker, Dennis" <Dennis.Parker@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 10:22:39 -0700

Just seeing this thread.

We run Access databases on MPS 3.0, but in a bit different manner that may
or may not work for your situation.

Access, in a word, sucks, in multi-user mode, so we create a read-only copy
of the Access database on a file share.  We publish a batch job that
launches a KIX script to get the read-only copy and place it the users home
folder, makes it not read only and then launch access with that database as
a parameter.

I am including copies of the scripts I created, but some paths and names
have been changed to protect the guilty.  (Watch out for line wrapping.)

This structure has cleared up 95% of our issues with Access databases
front-ending a SQL backend.

----Accessdblaunch.cmd-----

REM Launches a personal copy of an Access database.  Takes a parameter of
the database to launch.
REM Requires a custom KIX script for each database that this can work with.

%0\..\KIX32 %0\..\%1.kix
"P:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\MSACCESS.EXE"
"T:\AccessDB\%1.mdb" /wrkgrp \\dbaccess\database\workgroup\workgroupfile.mdw
exit

----Accessdblaunch.cmd-----

----SomeDatabaseLaunch.kix----

; Kix Macro called for lauching a per user copy of an Access Database.
; This gets a copy of a read-only version and places it in a per user
location.
; The .cmd file that calls this script will then lauch Access and the
appropriate
; database.

; Set the variables for where the database copy will be stored.
$Path = "T:\AccessDB\"          ; Path of the user profile directory.
$DB = "SomeDatabase"               ; Name of the database to be launched.
$RO = "_RO"                     ; Added to the Production Read-Only version
$Old = ".old"                   ; Extension of the old user copy.
$Ext = ".mdb"                   ; Extension of the normally used database.
$Source = "\\dbaccess\Someshare\"    ; Path for the Source Database share

; The Path must exsist before attempting to put files there.
IF Exist ($Path) = 0
        MD $Path
EndIF

; Compare the readonly production copy with the user copy.
; The compare will return a value of 0 (zero) if the files match, any other
; return value means the files are different.
$Compare = COMPAREFILETIMES($Source + $DB + $RO + $Ext, $Path + $DB + $Ext)

; If the two files are not the same for any reason attempt to copy the
production
; version to the user directory.  Keep one 'old' copy of the user version.
; Once the copy completes, remove the readonly attribute of the file before
launching.

IF $Compare <> 0
        IF Exist ($Path + $DB + $Old)
                Del $Path + $DB + $Old
        EndIf

        IF Exist ($Path + $DB + $Ext)
                Move $Path + $DB + $Ext $Path + $DB + $Old
;               Del $Path + $DB + $Ext
        EndIf

        Copy $Source + $DB + $RO + $Ext $Path + $DB + $Ext
        SetFileAttr($Path + $DB + $Ext, 32)
ENDIF

----SomeDatabaseLaunch.kix----

Dennis Parker, MCSE, CCA
Systems Administration, Manager
Fiserv EFT
4550 SW Macadam Ave, Ste 100
Portland, Or. 97239

This e-mail is confidential and may well be legally privileged. If you have
received it in error, you are on notice of its status. Please notify us
immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message from your system.
Please do not copy it or use it for any purposes, or disclose its contents
to any other person. To do so could violate state and Federal privacy laws.
Thank you for your cooperation. Please contact me if you need assistance.