[THIN] Re: Access XP/2003 on Win2003/MPS 3?

  • From: Jeff Pitsch <jepitsch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 10:51:08 -0400

If someone is recommending access as a frontend for SQL, then they are
idiots.  Yes this is strong language but I feel strongly about this.
There is NO REASON for access to be a front end.  SQL can handle it's
own queries if the application is developed properly.  C#, C++, VB,
etc can all be front ends to SQL and work wonderfully.  My guess is
the developers do not know how to work with SQL and are using Access
wizards and therefore require Access front end.

The reason you don't want access as the front end is that when it
comes time to upgrade office, guess what?  You can't upgrade Access.
Access changes everytime time a new vesrion of office is released.
Access XP is not compatible with 2000 or 2003.  Of course, all it
takes is ONE person to open up an Access DB with a new version of
Access and boom, the database is now upgraded and can't be used by the
old versions.

My recommnedation to get with real developers that know how to create
a true SQL server application.  That know that using Access as a
frontend is just plain stupid.

My rant is over.

Jeff Pitsch