[texbirds] Re: e-bird question

  • From: Matt Heindel <mtheindel@xxxxxxx>
  • To: spcgraham.floyd@xxxxxxxxx, texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 12:58:48 -0500 (EST)

Graham
I think one of the challenges here, and with all birders at some stage of their
learning, is the incredibly important concept of status and distribution.
Yellow-throated Vireo is not only totally unexpected in mid-winter, almost all
reports that are photographed have proven to involve Pine Warblers. (Many
birders have a tough time agreeing that they misidentified this as they think
they know Pine Warbler well, but nevertheless, that is what happens.) I suspect
the "consensus" did not have the benefit of realizing just how special a
January record of this vireo would be.
(And yes, weird birds show up in the wrong place at the wrong time, but the
default position has to be that they will not be deemed correct unless proven
otherwise. And, this is all the more important when so many reports of one
species (YT Vireo) are proven to be something else (Pine Warbler).

As Mary said, there are filters in place for "outliers" and the volunteers get
to eBird records when they can. Some of us have a real issue with the quality
of data in eBird because so many places have no serious review process, leaving
the database littered with reports that are either suspicious or undoubtedly
incorrect. In certain places (So Texas, much of CA), the cadre of reviewers
over the past few years has helped stem the tide of bad data. The "cost" of
this quality control means reports of some species are either delayed or
removed, which of course, creates angst for a different group of people.

We will not be able to solve this angst issue here, but to avoid it, as others
have said, when a filter highlights a sighting, supply what you can to justify
the report. But also, take this "flag" as an opportunity to challenge the
sighting as it might mean the reported species might be an error. eBird filters
are continually undergoing work and I give a few of my reviewer friends a hard
time over some of the items getting flagged, so the system will forever be
undergoing tweaks. But, when it comes to rarities, having them flagged and
needing justification is most definitely needed if eBird is to have a chance at
succeeding in its role.

Matt Heindel
Fair Oaks Ranch, TX