[texbirds] Re: e-bird question

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mtheindel@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 12:39:05 -0600

To answer the question on YTVI...Yes there are some (two?) fairly recent
winter photo  documented birds, but I think both were on CBCs and that goes
from mid Dec. to early Jan.  I think at least one is documented in NAB....I
am away and don't have time just now to go thru that however.  I am also on
a company computer that does not contain those files. I guess it depends on
how you define winter...by NAB season or actual solstice.?

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 11:58 AM, Matt Heindel <mtheindel@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Graham
> I think one of the challenges here, and with all birders at some stage of
> their learning, is the incredibly important concept of status and
> distribution. Yellow-throated Vireo is not only totally unexpected in
> mid-winter, almost all reports that are photographed have proven to involve
> Pine Warblers. (Many birders have a tough time agreeing that they
> misidentified this as they think they know Pine Warbler well, but
> nevertheless, that is what happens.) I suspect the "consensus" did not have
> the benefit of realizing just how special a January record of this vireo
> would be.
> (And yes, weird birds show up in the wrong place at the wrong time, but
> the default position has to be that they will not be deemed correct unless
> proven otherwise. And, this is all the more important when so many reports
> of one species (YT Vireo) are proven to be something else (Pine Warbler).
>
> As Mary said, there are filters in place for "outliers" and the volunteers
> get to eBird records when they can. Some of us have a real issue with the
> quality of data in eBird because so many places have no serious review
> process, leaving the database littered with reports that are either
> suspicious or undoubtedly incorrect. In certain places (So Texas, much of
> CA), the cadre of reviewers over the past few years has helped stem the
> tide of bad data. The "cost" of this quality control means reports of some
> species are either delayed or removed, which of course, creates angst for a
> different group of people.
>

> We will not be able to solve this angst issue here, but to avoid it, as
> others have said, when a filter highlights a sighting, supply what you can
> to justify the report. But also, take this "flag" as an opportunity to
> challenge the sighting as it might mean the reported species might be an
> error. eBird filters are continually undergoing work and I give a few of my
> reviewer friends a hard time over some of the items getting flagged, so the
> system will forever be undergoing tweaks. But, when it comes to rarities,
> having them flagged and needing justification is most definitely needed if
> eBird is to have a chance at succeeding in its role.
>

> Matt Heindel
> Fair Oaks Ranch, TX

Brush Freeman
Independent and affiliated Field Biologist
361-655-7641 Cell
720-202-0276 Business
http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/
Finca Alacranes., Utley,Texas