[texbirds] Re: UTC Lack of Migrants 4/11

  • From: "Willie Sekula" <williebird22@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jlt290@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Texbirds'" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 22:11:18 -0500

John & Texbirders,
Matt Heindel and I birded the Corpus Christi area migrant traps (Rosehill
Cemetery, Blucher Park, Packery Channel, and Port Aransas) today.  We were
surprised by the general lack of migrants also.  The conditions (north winds
& some overnight storms) seemed quite good for a decent grounding of birds.
Well that didn't happen.  There were some migrants around but not what would
be expected after a fairly strong cold front.

We did manage to tally 15 species of warblers including two Blackpolls on
Mustang Island.  We also had a male Scarlet Tanager at Packery Channel.

Somewhat odd was an adult White-crowned Sparrow seen in a Port Aransas
neighborhood.

Willie Sekula
Falls City