[texbirds] Birdy Day in Austin -- Thursday 11th

  • From: Elliott Gordon <tengalloncat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 21:58:12 -0500

First, Laguna Gloria this morning lacked warblers and most passerines, but
made up for that in swallows (Barn, Cliff, Northern Rough-winged, Purple
Martin). Robin Doughty (who I birded with for 1.5 hours) told me he had
seen Red-shouldered chicks in the nest. A wet Swamp Sparrow was in the
reeds by the ampitheater and a Peregrine Falcon scared up Red-winged
Blackbirds and Cedar Waxwings across the lake.
I had 49 species, Robin added Common Raven, Pied-billed Grebe, Common
Yellowthroat, and Mourning Dove. Also, we missed (notably) American Coot,
Chimney Swift, Great Egret, Wilson's Warbler, Downy Woodpecker, and Mallard
(another 10). Craig Rasmussen (with whom I shared the Golden-cheeked
Warbler) could have had more.

This afternoon at Morris Williams Municipal (on Manor), it was great (but
the golf was slow). I consider this the best course for birds I've played.
There was a small flock of Savannah Sparrows, American Pipits, and
Killdeer. Also, a male Eastern Bluebird was nice. There was again a
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron at the lower pond with a Great Egret.

Elliott Gordon
AF5HH
NW Austin