[texbirds] Re: Texbirds versus Facebook

  • From: Heidi Trudell <heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jarvin@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 17:29:46 -0600

At the risk of being tarred and feathered - I think Facebook has its
perks. Unfortunately, as with any medium, it is far from perfect
(there's already been a few knock-down, drag-out fights over posting
repetitive photos, irrelevant photos, excessive photos of common
birds, and off-topic things), but it's there and I don't see it going
away. It'd be a challenge for 2,000 folks to be active members - the
2k here now are not all active - and it only takes a few active people
to bury relevant threads. It is still a mix of folks who are still
learning and people who are well versed in the field.

So far I think sightings of interest have done a good job of not being
posted only on Facebook, and some people still rely on the Facebook
group for information, as they've been unable to subscribe to the new
listserv.

I do wonder when a new, slightly more birder-friendly option will
emerge. The emails have many downsides and Facebook is obnoxious at a
variety of levels. Unless eBird magically starts hosting posts along
with photos, Facebook may be the next best supplement for the email
version of Texbirds.

Happy trails,
-h

Heidi Trudell
Marathon, TX

--

Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary
necessities. - Mark Twain