[texbirds] Re: Texbirds versus Facebook

  • From: "John Arvin" <jarvin@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lprice@xxxxxxx>, "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Maillist" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 14:23:34 -0600

My sentiments exactly.
John C. Arvin
Research Associate
Gulf Coast Bird Observatory
103 West Hwy 332
Lake Jackson, TX 77566
jarvin@xxxxxxxx
www.gcbo.org

Austin, Texas

 From: "Linda Price" <lprice@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, November 16, 2012 2:03 PM
To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Maillist" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [texbirds] Re: Texbirds versus Facebook

I am sorry to hear that TEXBIRDS information is being solely posted on
Facebook.

I refuse to join Facebook. I really dislike that more and more information
from many bird sources are only available on Facebook.

Linda Gail Price
Longview, TX

On Nov 16, 2012, at 1:51 PM, antshrike1@xxxxxxx wrote:

> I'm confused about Texas birding information being posted to Facebook.
Martin Reid mentioned in his recent Texbirds post that he had posted photos
of the three scoters at Mitchell Lake (Thanks to Martin for helping me see
them) on Facebook.  I went looking for them and came up with a
"Texbirds.org" on Facebook with few photos and 209 members.  My wife Honey
helped me find another "Tex Birds" on Facebook with 487 members and
Martin's photos (which are much better than mine).  The real Texbirds
listserve has in excess of 2000 members, many who are missing out on
information being posted to Facebooks sites and not to the Texbirds
listserve.  I guess anyone can befriend one of the Texbirds related
Facebook sites and post any garbage they want (which they do).  This seems
like a poor way to communicate but would be a way to circumvent Texbirds