[texbirds] Re: Ruff along 8Mile Road, Galveston

  • From: Clayton Leopold <passerinaciris12@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "dawgler@xxxxxxxxx" <dawgler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 21:29:14 -0500

Hey Dennis and John, great spot! I will be birding west galveston all
morning until the wind changes, then I'm headed to Lafitte's for the
migrants! If anyone would like to join me, I will be out in a silver jeep
wrangler. I don't have a spotting scope though, so if anyone happens to
have one that will be birding the area, it would be appreciated!
On Thursday, April 3, 2014, Dennis Shepler <dawgler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Howdy Texbirders,
> This afternoon, John Tharp and I discovered a Ruff which was molting into
> breeding plumage, along 8 Mile Road, on Galveston Island.  The bird was
> located about a mile along the road on the right side.  If one travels
> along 8 Mile Road, one eventually comes to a wide shallow wet area on the
> left.  At this point on the right is a much smaller "pond" where the bird
> was observed for about 15 minutes preening and bouncing up into air.  I
> obtained a series of photographs and then the bird flew in an undetermined
> direction.  We were unable to relocate the bird.
> I hope that others are able to relocate this nifty bird.
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/olddawgler/with/13611689714/
> Dennis
> West Houston
> Harris County