[texbirds] Ruff along 8Mile Road, Galveston

  • From: Dennis Shepler <dawgler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 19:30:02 -0500

Howdy Texbirders,
This afternoon, John Tharp and I discovered a Ruff which was molting into
breeding plumage, along 8 Mile Road, on Galveston Island.  The bird was
located about a mile along the road on the right side.  If one travels
along 8 Mile Road, one eventually comes to a wide shallow wet area on the
left.  At this point on the right is a much smaller "pond" where the bird
was observed for about 15 minutes preening and bouncing up into air.  I
obtained a series of photographs and then the bird flew in an undetermined
direction.  We were unable to relocate the bird.
I hope that others are able to relocate this nifty bird.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/olddawgler/with/13611689714/
Dennis
West Houston
Harris County