[texbirds] Question on Egyptian Goose status

  • From: Graham Floyd <spcgraham.floyd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 08:40:17 -0700

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: *Graham Floyd*
Date: Monday, September 23, 2013
Subject: [texbirds] Question on Egyptian Goose status
To: "mljt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <mljt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

There are established rules for this that someone may send to you.  However
the true tipping point is politics.  A lot of birders don't want to think
about such species, and the final step according to the "rules" I mentioned
above is that a states bird records committee meet to declare the species
an addition to the state list.

As a young birder, I see a certain hypocrisy in this process.  New
additions must have "stable" populations, whereas native threatened and
endangered species in many instances do not have stable populations (i
expect the northern subspecies of Spotted Owl will be extinct in my
lifetime, not due to habitat loss directly, but indirectly due to the
resultant spread of Barred Owl).  This is a form of globalization, species
compositions will change, get over it.  8 years ago I traveled far for a
Eurasian Collared-Dove that had just entered Oregon; this week I am finding
them all the way to the mouth of the Columbia River.

Some birds naturally escape, or are released via human migration (a
Rufous-collared Sparrow in Colorado, an Elaenia in Chicago could have
arrived this way).  All birds should be looked at, documented, and enjoyed.
 We can learn a lot, I for one would love to know the origin and sources of
the Brownsville parrot flock.

For common exotics in ebird my comments are "..."; if the editors don't
want this valuable data that is their politics.

Graham Floyd,
San Antonio, TX