[texbirds] SPI flycatchers

  • From: Robert Becker <robertjbecker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 08:43:39 -0700 (PDT)

I birded South Padre Island convention center in cool, breezy weather yesterday
morning and was surprised to find the site dominated by flycatchers instead of
the expected warbler influx. I counted eight flycatcher species, more or less,
because some were empids and did not easily lend themselves to identification.
Most numerous were Vermillion Flycatchers, most of them juveniles or females in
various plumage states. There also were many Scissor-tailed Flycatchers that
perched on their usual spot at the treetop level. There also were Eastern
Kingbirds, Couch's Kingbirds, Least Flycatcher, Eastern Wood Peewee, Willow
Flycatcher (?), and Brown-crested Flycatcher.

A surprise was a Veery that peeked out at me from the thicket, and a Hermit
Thrush also flashed a very reddish tail.

Some photos are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/13451078@N03/

ID corrections are welcome.

Bob Becker
Rancho Viejo